A bit about me...
I am a student at the University of South Alabama in Mobile. I am a double major in secondary education and mathematics. It is my plan to educate in an inner city public school. I prefer to go back to my alma mater, Huffman High School in my hometown of Birmigham, Alabama. Unlike others, I am not in it for financial assistance. I want to help mold minority and low-income students into productive citizens of the future.

Thursday, October 8, 2009

Homophobia In Our Schools

Homophobia is leading to some catastrophic situations. Students are committing horrible acts of victimization and even murder against those students who identify as homosexual and these atudents often commit suicide to end the daily taunting and bullying they face daily. What can we do as educators? We should educate ourselves and learn more about homosexuality and share this information with students and parents alike. As educators, we should be there for these students because more often than not, they have not came out to anyone because they are afraid of the backlash. This is an example of one of the many roles we play as educators. There are valuable resources out there we can share amongst our fellow instructors. We should all do our part to embrace these students. GLBT support groups are a start and also finding ways to incorporate GLBT contributors into our curriculum can really bring it home.

No comments:

Post a Comment